Our Savior's Beginnings
It was 1945, and families in the area which is now the communities of Circle Pines, Blaine, Lexington and Lino Lakes searched for a church home of their own. The one room District 48 school house at Lexington and Lovell Road in Circle Pines was the only space available to them.
They contacted Pastor Erling Tungseth in nearby Spring Lake Park, and he began regular services in the one room building.
On Sunday mornings, early arrivals carried the portable pulpit and chairs from the basement to the upstairs classroom in readiness for the service.
The smell of chalk dust lingered in the air and there were traces of sweeping compound here and there.Pastor Tungseth often arrived out of breath, as he hurried from his church in Spring Lake Park. He joined in the friendly chatter as they made their way to fit themselves into the pupil’s desks. They raised their voices in praise to God feeling the presence of the Spirit. This was the beginning of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church. In October, 1947, we were officially organized as a mission congregation of the former Lutheran Free Church. In September, 1948, three years after the first service in the country school house, the fledgling congregation spread its wings and reached out for a home of its own. Carl and Ethel Manthey donated two acres of ground at the corner of Lexington and Woodland Road, and many willing workers constructed a basement on that property – the current location of OSLC. Because of the growing congregation, the church building was added onto many times to accommodate the ministries of OSLC. A current capital campaign called “Our Future is at Hand” is hoping to initiate new ministries, partner with others in senior housing opportunities and make improvements to our church building.
(Excerpts from “The First 50 Year’s Remembrance of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church”.)